Sunday, August 30, 2015

#3 Kid Rock & Foreigner: Countdown To 100

8/27 Thursday Night, Irvine Meadows.
Let's be real, Foreigner was pretty sweet, and I bailed early on Kid Rock. Why did I bail on Kid Rock? I don't know. I was there with my buddy who wasn't into him and I am not really into him. He's got a few hits that I do like but I was tired and knew I worked the next morning. Leaving early just sounded better.


Here I go again, talking about a band that gave birth to all their classic songs before I was even born. Since their self titled debut album Foreigner (1977), Foreigner has submitted some of rock's greatest hit's and the performance was a representation of that. "Double Vision", "Cold As Ice", "Head Games". "Dirty White Boy", "Feels Like The First Time". The weird thing about Foreigner was the fact that we got 5 songs in before the first original member of Foreigner made their way to the stage. Mick Jones played through the second half of the set. But remove Mick Jones and your basically looking at a Foreigner cover band. I can't deny that they sounded good though. Everyone really put their heart and soul into these massive Foreigner hits. "Urgent", "Juke Box Hero", "I Want To Know What Love Is", and last but not least "Hot Blooded". You almost forgot how many great songs Foreigner was responsible for but due to the fact that Foreigner is basically a lie, they opened for Kid Rock.




Foreigner should never open for Kid Rock and they never would have if they weren't an incomplete band. What an interesting divide to put in between the audience too. Foreigner and Kid Rock don't really exist on the same plane musically. You have an old band coming out of the 70s, and then Kid Rock who has been throwing hits at us since the 90s. He's definitely had chart toppers like "All Summer Long", "Picture", "Bawitdaba". Again I only got about 4 songs into Kid Rocks set, but from the start I knew it wasn't going to be nearly as good as the Foreigner set. Or at least I wasn't going to personally enjoy it as much as Foreigner. After sitting down to hit after hit, sitting through an unfamiliar body of work from Kid Rock just didn't seem exciting at all.

Oh, there's one thing that I think was supposed to come off as cool  but it was just a marketing ploy. The tour was called First Kiss: Cheap Date Tour. Kid Rock's newest album is titled First Kiss, but all the tickets were in the $20 range but ultimately ended up on resale sites for as low as $4 a ticket. So Kid rock knew he couldn't fill places like Verizon so he got Foreigner on board and charged nothing for tickets. Looks like a kind gesture from artist to fans but let's be real. That's just good marketing.


Ladies and gentlemen, I am very excited to announce that I am on the cusps of reaching a long time goal.
100 concerts.
Kid Rock and Foreigner were concert number #98.
Tim McGraw
will be #99 (Show was canceled updated: 9/23/15)
and
The Who will be #100.(Show was postponed updated: 9/23/15) Then we come around full circle from the start of this blog when I first announced that I would be seeing AC/DC for a second time. As long as I keep going to concerts I'll keep writing about them. So "for those about to rock, we salute you!"


6 comments:

  1. First Kiss..... really... its cheesy.... and your are right a marketing ploy.... discount sports tickets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Park your car in the security of Holiday airport parking and enjoy hassle free holiday. Luton car parks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatest hits album by Foreigner. That was the start to a series.
    gatwick north parking

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a very good blog art and craft are the two main things which bring life in the world. Opening classroom for card making is very good idea. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Return Of The Dreads Tour

It's been too long. About 10 years since I last saw Rob Zombie .  The first time I had ever seen Rob Zombie was a one off show in at the...