Friday, March 6, 2015

Country Concerts

As it was mentioned in my first post, '89 Concerts and Counting,' my girlfriend/partner in crime, Alex, is very much in love with country music. This was often a source of conflict when we first starting going out. I was born and raised on Rock N' Roll, and Heavy Metal; with just a sprinkle of 1980s and early 90s music. country music was the enemy growing up to the point where I truly found country music as something I just could not stand. country music wasn't the only genre I was raised to be closed off to, but it was definitely high on the list. 


It's been 4 years that Alex and I have been together, we just celebrated our 4th anniversary of being together March 4th. To this day I have hang-ups when it comes to country music. I must admit that I have actually grown to appreciate country music for what it is. I guess that's what happens when a genre is suddenly everywhere you go. It's really just because I love my girlfriend, she tries to give my music a chance, and I try to give her music a chance. I feel like it's made me wiser about music though. I now know more about a genre that I completely shunned most my life. I could hardly name a handful of County artists, and could recognize very few songs. Now I actually like a couple country artist, and can even sing along to a number of songs.


When it comes to a country concert vs. a Rock or Metal concert there are a variety of similarities. There are however key differences. Most Rock concerts I attend are for bands that were active back in the day, so that tends to bring an older audience to the concerts. This is a huge distinction I notice about country concerts; the majority of the audience is younger. There also tends to be a big gender shift. country concerts are very female heavy whereas Rock concerts tend to be heavier in males. I think for these reasons you'll find a very energetic vibe at country concerts, the tailgates are down and the parking lot is always vibrant and full of life. That's not to say Rock concerts aren't full of energy. But Rock concerts are full of career minded folks who are a little more grown up and probably don't have the next day off (unless it's a weekend). Then of course there's the cowboy hats and boots; however there is the same amount of denim, aha...


So I've been to a number of these lifted truck, American flag, corn bread and biscuit shows that my neck is in fact a little more red, and my beer belly a little bigger. I  have seen some country music legends as Jimmy Buffet, Tim McGraw (whom I've seen twice), Lonestar, Shania Twain, Dwight Yoakam, Blake Shelton. Meanwhile I've been privileged to have see contemporary country superstars such as Rascal Flatts, The Band Perry, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean (who I've seen twice), Florida Georgia Line,  Cassadee Pope, Kenny Chesney, Tyler Farr, Jerrod Nieman, Keith Urban, Billy Currington, Love and Theft, Kara Kramer, Laura Bell Bundy, Sheryl Crow. and most recently Eric Church. That's what I've seen so far, but the list continues to grow.



I currently have tickets to see Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney perform live. and I hope to catch Shania Twain during her final world tour that was just recently announced, I know it can't possibly be as good as her Vegas show which was incredible and full of Vegas magic, but I adore a number of her songs and look forward to seeing her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return Of The Dreads Tour

It's been too long. About 10 years since I last saw Rob Zombie .  The first time I had ever seen Rob Zombie was a one off show in at the...